Seating/false beats

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 12:40:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Susan & all,

If there were a super lubricant that got you zero friction between the strings and pins, the string would, indeed, stay down on the bridge when at rest. When struck, the pitch would vary wildly as the string rendered back and forth freely through the pins
 ( the only resistance being kinks in the wire, and resistance chances corresponding to the changing pull angles resulting). The string would also be flailing up and down the pin with each hammer blow. It's just like every other moving part we see in pian
os. They were designed around naturally occurring friction and material performance/limitation ranges. There has to be friction for it to work at all.

Regards, Ron Nossaman

At 12:45 PM 4/18/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Sure, you can double the life of violin and cello strings by rubbing pencil
>lead in the grooves at the nut and bridge; but contact with wood wasn't what
>I meant. I meant the metal-metal of the bridge pin and wire, which is where
>the friction seems to do the damage (making grooves, hanging up). I was
>thinking more along the lines of a drop of Protek, dabbed on right at the
>front bridge pin, while the bridge pin was new and unmarked. I was afraid of
>clogging the tone later, though, and unsure if it would improve the problem.
>
>Full speed ahead, if ahead is where we're going!
>
>Susan Kline
>skline@proaxis.com
>P.O. Box 1651,
>Philomath, OR 97370