Stwy pinblock separation...I'm desperate!

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:15:53 -0500

At 01:33 PM 4/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear fellow PTG colleagues,
>	Please Help!
>	I have a customer whose Steinway studio is suffering from pinblock/backframe
>separation.  The Steinway however has no room
>for introducing any bolts and has hardly any margin above the pin area for
>clamps to grab the plate. The t pin field in this center section [between the
>tenor break and the first plate screw in the treble section] is quite
>congested with the top row of pins right along the top edge of the plate.
>	Can I just clamp [if I could find room to adequately position the clamps]
>the p.b. to the back frame and hope it would hold without the use of lag
>bolts?
>	Sincerely appreciating your help in advance,
>	Sol Kohen, RPT [pianotek@aol.com]

Sol,
	I've had success in clamping blocks like that by just using a 2x4 right on
top of the pins. Didn't drive 'em in, or anything, but may have torqued
'em. Might be tempted to go ahead and down-pitch a little, if the piano is
up to pitch. Don't recommend just epoxy. Can use wedgy tool on shop-vac
from under horizontal back strut to suck the glue down into the block, if
the crack goes through. Good luck!
Guy
Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he
sings."