1907 steinway upright

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:31:49 -0400 (EDT)

JP,

If you're going to do this much, you might want to think about wippen, key,
damper, string condition, etc.  I would check closely for verdigris on all of
the flange bushings and evaluate the other parts for performance equal to
that of your new parts.  Also, if you've never replaced and regulated double
flanges (which I assume this instrument has) I would allow plenty of extra
tome for that too.

As to the price, just figure it the normal way.  Take the cost of parts, add
a reasonable mark up then take your estimated hours and multiply them by your
labor rate.  I use a combination of Joe Garrett's guide and Newton Hunt's
guide as well as my own times from experience.  Allow yourself time to do the
job right and then add a little.  Not that you would, but in my experience,
many of us in this profession sell ourselves short on highly specialized work
that we've strived hard to learn to do.

Have fun with it,

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT