Steinway Model K upright

Granholm Bros. gbros@term.wanweb.net
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:27:53 -0700

Newton, Allan and List:

I've noticed posts today regarding a Steinway upright.  We've just brought
in a 1902 Model K for rebuilding/refinishing, and  I have a few questions.

This piano's in pretty sad shape.  It's been in a college practice room for
years.  The ivory's gone, and somebody painted the keysticks with whiteout.
Now the school music department wants it put back to former glory.

1.  Missing parts:  This piano's action is secured to the bolts by four
knurled brass knobs, which are all missing.  Anybody have an extra set we
can purchase, or know where we can get a set?

2.  New Parts:  American Piano Supply and Pianotek sell replacement wippens
and butts, and American sells damper levers.  Any opinions, based on
experience, about these parts?  We're getting new hammers from Steinway.
Would you recommend also replacing damper blocks?

Also, the dampers near the tenor/bass break are supposed to have a second
block and felt on a wire stretching above the hammers.  These have been cut
off on our piano.  Will we have to make new ones, or are they available
somewhere?  Finally, do you have a recommeded source for bass strings for
this piano.  We've always used Schaff.

We've done many rebuilds of other uprights, but our Steinway experience is
limited.  They just don't show up that often in our rural location.  We'd
appreciate any advice or guidance from any of you out there about this
project.

Thanks,

John Granholm
Granholm Bros Piano Rejuvenations