Schraffed bass strings

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:13:56 -0500

Ted Simmons wrote:

> Jim, as I understand it, on a double-wrapped string, the inner wrap goes
> counterclockwise to the outer wrap.  So it would do no good to twist this
> type of string since you would be tightening one wrap but loosening the
> other.  Anyhow, this is what I've been told.

OK, one more quick message about bass strings.  Ted is correct about the
inner wrap.  The normal ratio is that the outer wrap is about twice the
diameter of the inner wrap.  Twisting a double-wrapped string tightens
the thicker outer wrap which, in turn, DOES tighten onto the thinner
inner wrap and is OK to do and is, in fact, advisable.

One other thing about hex core wire.  I mentioned that swadging was not
necessary.  Also the schraffing/Kratzen/rough-up of a hex core is not
necessary.  Saves that much more time for the string maker.

----Joel