Seating/false beats

Östen Häggmark haggmark@mailbox.calypso.net
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:01:17 +0000 (GMT)

Ron Nossaman:
>There is one thing that disturbs me. In the front pins, there is a huge =
burr >at the bottom of the skid track. looks like the string hammered =
itself down >into the pin.

Dear list and Ron,

I just happened to have a couple of bridge pins laying here on my
desktop, taken from an old upright (ca 1905). They look exactly
as your drawing. At the bottom of the groove which the string has
made in the pin, there is (as you say if I understand you right,
and I think I can see it in your drawing) an edge, visible for
the naked eye and you also feel it with your finger. (I would
call it a grade, maybe that's the word)=20

The pin material seems rather soft. Could this edge be a result
of me seating the strings? I did that on this piano in a vain
attempt to reduce false beats. I did it carefully, but the pin
seems soft. Assuming that there already was a groove in the pin,
maybe the seating was responsible for the "pear shape"?

Best regards
=D6sten H=E4ggmark
Stockholm, Sweden  =20

=20