Lighted magnifying glass [was Re: Report on Otoscope]

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:57:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Richard Moody <remoody@easnetsd.com> wrote:

[snip]
> There is a magnifying glass that is pocket size that has a light on it
> that costs less than $25....I used to have one.  If anyone knows of
> these and where to get them, please post.  They are great to examine
> piano parts such as bridge pins, and broken strings (to see if there
> were rust spots) etc. and should you want to, tuning pin holes, I am
> reasonably sure.

I believe I have one of these magnifying glasses. It has a black, plastic
covering and is made by Bausch&Lomb. Quite handy. After carefully looking
the thing over, I cannot find a part or model number thereon. I would
suggest that you inquire at a local optometrist who will probably have
a B&L catalog, or try this 800 number--800/553-5340--and request a
catalog. It has two handheld lighted, magnifying glasses. One has a button
on the side that you push (that's the one I have) and retails for about
$11 and another that has a switch, is a little bigger, and retails for
about $25 (probably the one you're looking for). I understand that the
catalog comes with a list of local distributors.

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan
			      School of Music