tuning sequence

DICK BEATON rbeaton@initco.net
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:48:07 -0600

Using a , I quit using a felt mute strip and just tune unisons.  I use
aural checks as I go etc..  For some time I have tuned the three string
unisons starting on the right string first (verticals...left on grands) for
the reason that I think I am getting more solid tunings.
My reasonings are thus....(boiled down somewhat)      Wondering why the
right string usually goes out of tune first, I reasoned that it gets hit
three times as often as the first string and twice as often as the second
string in the tuning process.  ie, 30 20 10.    So if I tune the right one
first and it survives setting the other two strings, I know it is solid.
The waste length of the right string is shorter than the others and may?
have some effect.  I have never seen this discussed in any tuning articles.
 I would welcome comments on the subject.  I know from what I have been
reading on this net that we have some very bright piano folks out there.
Dick Beaton RPT Montana