Do yellow pages pay?

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 07:57:07 -0700

----------
> From: wtscherer <WallyTS@compuserve.com>
> To: LIst <pianotech@byu.edu>
> Subject: Do yellow pages pay?
> Date: Saturday, April 26, 1997 5:48 AM
>
> Ladies and Gentlemen,

> I'm approaching the end of one year in the business full time, and this
> month is when I must get my request in to the phone company if I want to
> change my service to commercial. (I tuned part-time for 17 years, mostly
> overseas.) The basic rate would be about $60 as compared to $15 for
private
> residential. I would get a one line, normal typeface listing in the
yellow
> pages under "Piano Tuning and Repair".

snip

> What have some of you done who mostly work for yourself, especially if
you
> don't offer rebuilding? Have you found yellow pages advertising cost
> effective?
>
> Sincerely,
> Wally Scherer
> Norfolk, Virginia
> WallyTS@compuserve.com

Since it costs next to nothing  and I figure a professional *should* be
locatable (is that a word?) in the yellow pages, I have a one-line regular
print listing of my name and phone number  under "Piano Tuners and
Technicians".

No one has *ever* mentioned *looking me up* in the phone book.  The only
mention of the yellow pages comes from price shoppers, and that doesn't
happen more than once or twice a year.

Myler, Tom

"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is the knowledge
of one's own ignorance"

                                 John Steinbeck