Do yellow pages pay?

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 11:02:15 -0400 (EDT)

<< What have some of you done who mostly work for yourself, especially if you
 don't offer rebuilding? Have you found yellow pages advertising cost
 effective?

 Sincerely,
 Wally Scherer >>

Wally,

Just one point of view. Our business phone is $55.00/month and we spend
$34/mo. on a box ad (small three line). Total is $89/month less the $15/mo.
we pay for basic residential phone equals $74/mo. What is the return? We do
have calls from people letting their  "fingers do the walking". We have
confidence some of these customers will chose us based on our telephone
manners and the assurance of high quality service. But we run the ad for our
regular customers who have RPT bookmarks, PTG technical bulletins and
brochures, and business cards "somewhere"? We also run an ad in an area
directory as we service a wide geographic area and find this to be helpful to
our area customers. Cost on this runs $300 annually. We don't track these
things but our thinking is that having our number available is critical even
for word of mouth customers who generally tell their friends that "they are
in the yellow pages under piano tuning and repairs".

Regards,

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.