Seating/false beats

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:41:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hi =D6sten,

First, welcome to the thread that wouldn't die. The more serious=
 participants the better.

The pin IS soft. It's mild steel, as opposed to the hardened, tempered, high=
 carbon steel music wire. I suspect it's done that way so there will be more=
 friction (or "bite") between the two so the string won't slither up and=
 down the pin as easily and make horrible noises.

I don't think seating the string had anything to do with the formation of=
 that protruding edge at the bottom of the skid track. You would have to=
 seat strings often and hard to account for that much damage. Richard=
 Anderson has posted an interesting idea that fits in quite nicely. It's all=
 in the other post.
=20
Ron Nossaman =20

At 08:01 AM 4/24/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Ron Nossaman:
>>There is one thing that disturbs me. In the front pins, there is a huge=
 burr >at the bottom of the skid track. looks like the string hammered=
 itself down >into the pin.

>Dear list and Ron,
>
>I just happened to have a couple of bridge pins laying here on my
>desktop, taken from an old upright (ca 1905). They look exactly
>as your drawing. At the bottom of the groove which the string has
>made in the pin, there is (as you say if I understand you right,
>and I think I can see it in your drawing) an edge, visible for
>the naked eye and you also feel it with your finger. (I would
>call it a grade, maybe that's the word)=20
>
>The pin material seems rather soft. Could this edge be a result
>of me seating the strings? I did that on this piano in a vain
>attempt to reduce false beats. I did it carefully, but the pin
>seems soft. Assuming that there already was a groove in the pin,
>maybe the seating was responsible for the "pear shape"?
>

>Best regards
>=D6sten H=E4ggmark
>Stockholm, Sweden  =20
>
>=20