String Voicing Problems

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:44:46 -0500

Dearest List:
1.)I have often wondered (and have heard many opinions) on why the unisons
at the tenor/treble break (on both sides of the plate strut) often have
more buzzes and other string voicing -type problems than other strings.  I
can never seem to get nice clear unisons perfect on those notes in
particular.  WHY???

2.)Particularly on Baldwins from the 70's I find lots of string voicing
problems i.e., buzzes, twangs, metallic sounding distortion, etc.  These
pianos have the accu-just hitch pins. Often times I have tapped strings
down on bridges (Oh no!  Don't start that thread again!!), renotched
bridges, changed the downbearing, V'd the bar and smoothed it with a file,
sandpaper, etc., pulled strings around the hitch pin to get new termination
points at the bridge, tightened loose bridge pins, voiced hammers, muted
the capo/non-speaking area....... All depending upon the sound and
circumstances. I'm successful only PART of the time.  On these Baldwins in
particular, I am seldom successful.

I have a customer who sent an R back to the factory, paid the freight, for
restringing and "repair" and got it back in the same condition.  You could
still see the old string indentation marks on the v-bar from the first
stringing. The piano is practically useless now, and she's a teacher!!!!  I
have tried everything on this instrument and now I'm embarrassed when I
show up to tune it, it sounds bad after all my efforts - even tuned!! There
is particularly a metallic buzz from the tenor break - up.  Sounds like a
tiny piece of metal is touching the strings!!  What am I not seeing?  What
pattern have you seen with these??  Maybe I just need to perfect my above
listed techniques.  What should I try first and when should I try it??

I KNOW someone out there can help!!!!!!!!!! (please)
Thanks in advance.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.