String Voicing Problems

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 00:20:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Lance.

One thing you might want to check is the notching at the bridge. In
recent years Baldwin has been consistently sloppy about this and it
not uncommon to find a string just grazing the notch enough to make
the buzzing sound you describe. You can have a piano where this isn't
presnt and then the humidity goes up and suddenly you have several
strings buzzing. If you have one or two strings with this problem,
check them all. When I asked the local Baldwin dealer why this problem
was so common, his response was, "at least it's easy to fix."!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net