String Voicing Problems

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:00:06 -0600

Lance,
        I'm wondering if this is the capo bar that is causing this voicing
situation.  I have several Baldwins from the 70's and they all develop
metalic buzzing  - particularly in the capo bar area.  It is a distorted
sound and sometimes becomes a very obnoxious metalic rattle.
         Usually I find one string that has a more prominent buzz and work
on it first.   To solve the problem  temporarily  we have simply moved the
string  back and forth across the capo.  Insert a screwdriver between the
strings near the capo to move it around.   You will hear the string
snapping into the grooves created by the string on the capo.   Move the
string back and forth several times until the burr gets  smoothed out.
Sometimes it comes back and sometimes not. Worth a try .
Joel

>2.)Particularly on Baldwins from the 70's I find lots of string voicing
>problems i.e., buzzes, twangs, metallic sounding distortion, etc.  These
>pianos have the accu-just hitch pins.

! There
>is particularly a metallic buzz from the tenor break - up.  Sounds like a
>tiny piece of metal is touching the strings!!  What am I not seeing?  What
>pattern have you seen with these??  Maybe I just need to perfect my above
>listed techniques.  What should I try first and when should I try it??
>
>I KNOW someone out there can help!!!!!!!!!! (please)
>Thanks in advance.
>

>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>New Orleans Chapter
>Covington, LA.