Wurlitzer hexagonal soundboard

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Keith A. McGavern wrote:

> So much for my memory with regards to the Wurlitzer soundboard  :-)
>
> However, I am still stuck with this three-layered solid spruce soundboard
> concept that has the grain running in three different directions, then
> glued together.  Is there anyone other than myself who has heard of this
> concept as well?  Or is this the lamination type soundboard concept?

	I think the Wurlitzer marketing team called this the "Duraphonic
Multi-Radial Soundboard." I think it was just a 3-ply laminated board. I
have heard Del Fandrich, however, extol the merits of an all-spruce
laminate in which the three layers have their grain angles offset only
slightly from each other, rather than 90 degrees.

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington
Seattle, WA