Seating/false beats

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:05:03 +0100

Well Ron et al,

It would seem that we have this mostly figured out. The question
remains, how do we apply this model? Do we;
1. Continue to seat strings on the bridge knowing it is only temporary
but helps a little?
2. Stop seating strings realizing that we're actually destabilizing the
instrument a little?
3. Regard bridge resurfacing/recapping as a necessary part of
restringing/rebuilding, as we do resurfacing the capo bar etc.?
   If so, do we;
      a. maintain a flat bridge top and remove all the groove but
risk
         loosing some bearing?
      b. resurface to remove only the groove and end up with a
crowned
         bridge surface?

Certainly the answer depends on many factors, but I'll be paying more
attention to bridges on all future jobs.

Richard Anderson, RPT
Elgin, IL