query

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:18:35 -0700 (MST)

Hi Everyone:

The pure 5ths temperament would probably fail the PTG test in the mid-
range section, since the tolerance is only 1 cent. The octaves are
stretched around 2 to 3 cents. It may sound better overall, but it was
not designed to help one pass the test. One would be wise to not allow
more than a half beat in the octaves of the midrange.

I really expected the pure 5ths tuning at the Tuneoff to win.  In every
other test, it did quite well.  I don't know that anyone detected my
tunings as being different during the playing.

Jim Coleman, Sr.