query+

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:35:32 -0500

----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: JIMRPT@aol.com
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re:  query
> Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 6:18 PM
>
> Hi Everyone:
>
> The pure 5ths temperament would probably fail the PTG test in the mid-
> range section, since the tolerance is only 1 cent. The octaves are
> stretched around 2 to 3 cents. It may sound better overall, but it was
> not designed to help one pass the test. One would be wise to not allow
> more than a half beat in the octaves of the midrange.
>
>the  testee (?) has the capability to tune to the test
> > parameters with the feeling being that if they can, then they can do
any
> > other tuning they set their mind to.
> >

> > Dear Jim,
	So far, in my trials I have found that the PFT works only on the best
scaled pianos, Yamahas, Kawais, and the like.  It seems on average pianos
things just get too wild and the pianos sound funny.  What is your
experience on just average and less type pianos?
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com