String Levelling

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:25:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> 	<<"On an imaginary level, I can understand why strings that have been
> "leveled" buzz in the agraffs, and duplexes. ">>
>   Although I have never tried leveling stings in the duplex area, leveling
> the strings can 'cure' buzzes in the agraffe area.  I don't think I have ever
> had a case of the leveling causing a buzz though.  It would be interesting to
> know if anyone else has had a buzz appear while leveling a string.

	I've met with several Steinways from, I think, the 1970s, which
had agraffes with insufficient counterbore. The hole in the agraffe was
pretty much just a straight cylindrical hole. I found that leveling
strings on these pianos would often result in more problems than just
leaving the strings where they were. In many cases, pulling a string up
would cause a buzz--either immediately or down the road a bit.

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington
Seattle, WA