String Levelling

DICK BEATON rbeaton@initco.net
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:56:44 -0600

Richard and all..

I recall from 1975 class at Yamaha Little Red School House ....String
leveling is necessary due to the nature of piano wire.  It comes off a roll
and wants to go back into a roll.  A rather long wire on a grand will have
a curve in it due to this.  When you level it you are really strightening
it out to match it's neighbors.  The tension at pitch is not enough to pull
it straight!

Anyway I agree it hasn't received enough attention.  Same for a lot of
other things which makes this medium very interesting indeed!

Dick RPT MT