octave notation

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sat, 02 Aug 1997 13:27:22 -0500

Piano Techies:

How do we get ourselves in such a fix?  There is such a variety of ways
to designate the notes on the piano.  Maybe it is a result of lots of
shop work, but lately, I've gone to labeling notes one to eighty eight
on the the normal keyboard (Bösendorfers are a notable [pun intended]
exception!)  This way a49 should vibrate at 440Hz., c40 is middle c (or
MC for RM - Richard Moody).  c88 is the top note on most pianos.  An
85-note piano will go up to a85.  How about that?  The shop work comes
in because many keyboards are stamped with these numbers and it is easy
to identify which note you are talking about using these already
stamped-on numbers.  On service calls, when I want to write on the
invoice which note got a new string, or which jacks were repinned, there
is no doubt which d-sharp or a-flat I meant.

Sure, at first, you'll have to start counting quickly if the fallboard
is still there and you can't see the stamped-on numbers.  But you
quickly learn a few standards (a49, f21 - the bottom tenor note in
grands having 20 bass) and can go from there.

As always, hope this helps.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas