Elementary String Leveling Questions

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 03 Aug 1997 01:23:05 -0500

Dear Friends,

I have been thinking about this topic of string leveling and hammer to
string mating.  It is fascinating!  I have two short questions.

1.  If, as someone proposed recently, the strange noises are caused by the
hammer twisting as it contacts the string, would a loose hammer head also
cause strange noises?  I know that a loose hammer head will click
sometimes, but could that contribute to the noises we are hearing?

2.  Similarly, would a loose hammer flange screw also cause the hammer to
wobble violently and also cause strange noises?  I guess that is why we
tighten all of the screws, and then check to make sure that they are tight!

Great ideas here on the list!

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven