Elementary String Leveling Questions

Don Mannino DonMannino@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 08:30:03 -0700

T. Ayers wrote:

>>I was thinking that with Spurlock and Maninno's method of felt layed across
the jacks, that if you have to turn the capstans to bring the hammers down
(to be able to get action back in cavity I assume.)<<

No, this isn't necessary. Just lay some thick nameboard felt (or similar) under the knuckles, and gently push the action in past the pinblock.

This is a Kawai factory method, used on every piano - and I assure you they would not change the capstans every time!!! They do wipe off the bottom of the pinblock first to keep from getting any junk into the hammers. This is something to remember on an older piano!

Give it a try.

Don Mannino RPT