Elementary String Leveling Questions

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Mon, 4 Aug 97 07:27:52 -0400

On 8/1/97, David ilvedson <ilvey@a.crl.com> wrote:
<<I have been experimenting  with those old aluminum keybushing cauls and
the hardwood ones  also.  I would set one (upside down...it is just the
right size  to sit on the unison) on the three strings and if level they
would sit there.>>

I failed to mention last night that another person using a square metal
block to check strings level was the Mr. Anderson (Jim?), the tech at
Steinway's C&A in Paris who was on this list last winter. He mentioned a
small brass bar on which the face visible to him had been polished to a
mirror so as to display any gaps as the strings passed under it.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it" Steve
Forbes, quoting his father, Malcom.

Bill Ballard
yardbird@sover.net

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve in the silence."
    Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.