Steinway "O" stiffness

robert sadowski rob@erie.net
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:58:23 -0400

Dear list,
Thanks to all for the help.  Perhaps a bit more information might help.
Repetitions were replaced with new pre-'84 from Steinway.  Shanks & flanges
are less than 10 yrs. old
with very little playing time.  Hammers are new Encore from Wally Brooks.
Key bushings are new and free.  Also a little side note.  I now realize the
cumulative effect of not using Steinway parts.  The sound board, pinblock,
bridges and stringing were done at New York Piano Center on the advice of a
trusted technician. The low bass sounds nothing like a Steinway.  It's a
very nice sounding piano, just not a good Steinway.  The price was about
half that of S & S. and I guess that's what I got - half a Steinway.  Also
has anyone noticed the quality and character of Mapes strings slipping
recently?  I replaced a bass string on a 40 year old "M" on one of the
double unisons and noticed the tone on the old string much better - more
ring.  This is not the only case I've run into lately.
Any comments from the list on not using Steinway soundboards, etc.?

Thanks again,

Bob Sadowski
Erie Chapter