Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 00:34:29 -0600

Hello all.

A technician friend of mine, who also rebuilds, is doing a 1922 M for me.
He cleaned the soundboard and called me over.  He said it still has plenty
of the original Steinway varnish but under the hinges, where the board is
fully exposed, there are some scratches and wear that left none of the
varnish on that large area.

Here's the dilemma:  If he sands the whole board down then the original
Steinway varnish is gone forever, and soundboard is a much lighter color.
If he leaves it alone (what he would do if it was his) he said nobody would
notice because it is under the hinges (he will be putting some sort of
sealant on the whole board anyway -- short name -- starts with a D).  I
suggested perhaps sanding the whole board and then putting the same type of
varnish that yellows the wood slightly and even more with time.  He said
he's never done this but he would if that is what I wanted.  Whatever he
uses will be brushed on.

Any thoughts?  Authenticity is important to me but I do want a sharp
looking piano.  I even asked for a soundboard decal even though the
original didn't have one.

Glenn.