Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:21:54 -0600

----------
> From: SprBil@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma
>
> Hi Glenn,
>

> BTW, are you a tuner? Pianist?  inquiring minds want to know <g>.
>
> Bill Springer, RPT

I am a new tech and an intermediate level pianist.  Thanks for all of the
great replies and so quick!

I am going to drop the decal idea -- He's going to work on the bad area
some more and then seal it with Deft.  It'll be whiter and stay whiter but
then that is how it started out!  There is still plenty of the original
finish in the wood.

Frank, the pins are already in the shop and they are nickel.  He got a
chuckle out of your comment but his reply was that Steinway should have
used them in the first place because they are nicer looking and better
against rust.

Authenticity is not that high a priority, just a concern.  I am excited to
finally own a Steinway and I am glad to be there in it's "rebirth," so to
speak!  Today I picked out the new stain.

BTW, I too am rebuilding my first piano.  It is a 1929 Vogue baby grand, 57
inches long.  I've never heard of this brand before.

I built a computer for my friend who is rebuilding this Steinway, so as
soon as he gets comfortable with getting online and such, he hopes to join
this list.  Thanks again for the info.

Glenn.