credit card sales

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 05:07:44 -0600 (MDT)

	Friends,

	I am somewhat behind in collecting my email messages, so I hope
this reply does not arrive so far behind these comments about credit card
financing that they are irrelevant.

	In my neck of the woods, Calgary Alberta Canada, credit cards are
on the way out. Debit cards are in! (Sometimes locally called Interac) In
my own case, instead of having monthly credit card account of several
hundred dollars, they now amount to less than one hundred. Even MacDonalds
and Dairy Queen are now equipped to handle debit cards. Some parents are
helping their teen-agers to acquire debit cards for their bank accounts
because the banks are not charging service charges for children under
eighteen.

	So I feel that gearing up for credit card charging is like
shutting the barn door--the horse is gone. However, I don't know any
possible way for an individual to prepare to accept debit cards. I'm sure
that the equipment necessary would be too expensive to warrant an
individual technician's use of it. But I could be wrong.

	Ken Burton, "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta