Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Thu, 07 Aug 1997 08:10:22 -0400

A440A@aol.com wrote:

> Hmmmm.
>
> Del says that Steinway boards are finished with  varnish over a shellac
> sealer.
>    I have to question this to the extent that most of the older Steinways I
> own have soundboard finishes on them that appear to be only shellac,(this
> includes four that were built before 1920.
>       I test with a drop of alcohol, and I have never seen varnish dissolve
> so fast.  I cannot get varnish to melt with four or five seconds of exposure
> to alcohol, and have always considered the soundboard finishes to be
> completely shellac.
>      Are we positive about the varnish??
>
> Regards,
> Ed Foote
> Precision Piano Works
> Nashville, Tn

I have to go with Ed on this.  Within the last year, I have refinished
two "virgin" vintage Steinway soundboards, and four of other makes, all
built before 1922.  In EVERY case the soundboards were finished with
only shellac.

I have found that the best and easiest way to remove this finish is with
alcohol and rubbing.  NO SCRAPING or SANDING.  A soundboard can be
completely stripped in about 20 minutes.

To refinish, rub or brush two or three coats of cut orange shellac onto
the board.  Polish if you must.  This finish is quick, easy, and
authentic.  Reblitz says to add a coat of varnish, but I think this is
unnecessary.  Most of the vintage soundboards I have seen needed
refinishing because of dirt, scratches, and cracks, not because the
shellac had deteriorated.  It the shellac is good for 90 or so years,
why attempt to improve on the process?

Frank Weston

Frank Weston