Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Delwin D Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet1.olynet.com
Thu, 07 Aug 1997 11:33:50 -0700

JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> ... To respond to Danny's question re: polyurethane........I have finished a
> few boards with polyurethane and was, and am, under the impression that the
> sustain was slightly adversely affected.  I have no data to prove this, just
> my impression.  I no longer use polyurethane for this purpose.
> Just some thoughts
>  Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim,

I rather doubt that it was the polyurethane that affected the sustain
characteristic of the soundboard.

Sustain is a function of the mechanical (wave) impedance of the
soundboard system. This is a highly complex function, but basically it
is determined by the mass and the elasticity (or "springiness") of the
system.

As soundboards age under the load of the string downforce, the
springiness component of the equation changes—especially with
compression crowned soundboards. The wood cell structure within the
soundboard panel gradually crushes as it is repeatedly subjected to the
swelling of the wood during the humid climate cycles. While not usually
catastrophic in the short term—when it is catastrophic, we call the
result a “compression ridge”—over the years the wood cells loose their
resiliency. As this happens the soundboard looses some of its
springiness. The soundboard now presents a lower acoustic load to the
energy coming to it from the strings which means that energy is
transferred from the string to the soundboard at a faster rate; hence,
sustain time decreases.

The visible appearance of the soundboard is not an indication of the
ability of the soundboard panel to continue functioning as a piano
soundboard. Until something better comes along, our criteria is
primarily sustain time and our experience in judging that time. As I’ve
said before, any soundboard over 40 years old is suspect. And any
soundboard showing evidence of compression ridges is suspect. Not
automatically rejected, but certainly suspect.