Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@mail.rpa.net
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:08:39 -0400

Del:

It is my understanding from a class given by Chris Robinson on soundboards
that conversion varnish creates the best vapor seal.  Have you had any
experience with it, if so why have you not mentioned conversion varnish as a
possibility?  Is it actually a polyester?

>The purpose of any wood finish is basically threefold:
>  1)  It should enhance the beauty of the wood.
>  2)  It should protect the wood from physical damage.
>  3)  It should provide a reasonable vapor seal to protect the wood from
>changes in humidity and by so doing help to stabilize the wood against
>dimensional changes. In my view, this is probably the most important
>requirement for a piano soundboard finish.

Rob Edwardsen
21 Courtenay Circle
Pittsford, NY 14534-2101
716-586-1360