Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 11:40:57 -0700

> > It is my understanding from a class given by Chris Robinson on
soundboards
> > that conversion varnish creates the best vapor seal.  Have you had any
> > experience with it, if so why have you not mentioned conversion varnish
as a
> > possibility?  Is it actually a polyester?
>
> No, I've not used conversion varnish. I've looked at it as a finish
> material for piano casework, but have not yet taken the plunge.
>
> It is not a polyester. Different chemistry, but I'd have to look it up
> to tell you more.

Right.  From my recollection, it's a catalyzed alkyd.  I used it on cabinet
parts - never got around to using it on soundboards, but I think it would
be fine.  Nice product to work with. It actually flows better initially,
but sets up quicker than lacquer. Cool smell too, kind of like walnuts.  I
quit using it simply because customers preferred nitro lacquer in side by
side comparisons.  The promises of improved durability didn't seem to carry
much weight.  I guess they thought of their pianos as musical instrument
more than furniture.

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
mstory@ewu.edu