Lacquer Sources?

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 13:27:30 -0700

> well be wrong ) that S&S uses a lac manufactered by Rudd.  Clear lac.
> should be easily obtained from any major paint company such as
> Sherwin-Williams, Pittsburg Paints, etc.  The lac is also available from

Sherwin - Williams has a very nice clear sanding sealer with extra
stearates called "EZ Sand" - makes all the difference when working on fine
finishes like pianos.  I have used their black (as well as other color)
nitro lacquers, though I don't really like the "color" of their black - it
looks a little greyish compared to the stuff that S&S uses.  They also have
black primer.  You may have to convince the sales rep. (that they do in
fact sell it) and buy it in cases (of 4) but it's pretty good and goes a
long way.  It says "metal primer" on the can, but it works fine on wood.
Please don't use gray or white primer on black pianos.  Ugh.

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
mstory@ewu.edu