Test equipment

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Sat, 09 Aug 1997 09:24:49 -0500

There have been a couple of small threads lately that, taken together,
are amusing.

There has been a thread on the new SAT III at $1,600.00, and the RCT
which together with the necessary Powerbook will run over $3,000.00.  We
spend on these things because they are helpful.  I have a SAT I that
cost me $1,400.00 and it has been well worth the cost.

There has also been a thread on hearing protection where protectors
costing $125.00 to $175.00 have been refered to as "expensive."

Friends, we can replace our broken SATs, but when our ears go, we learn
a new trade.  I tune about half of the pianos I do without the SAT, but
I need the ears for ALL of the work I do.  I don't have the writing
skills to over emphasize the need to protect our PRIMARY test equipment.
I never tune a piano anymore without my 15db plugs in.  The fact that
they help me to hear better is a plus.  The fact that they will really
help me to hear better 15 years from now is the biggest reason for their
use.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts