heavy action..

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 19:03:29 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Phil,

An intermittant Baldwin dealer in my area asked me to look at one of these,
same problem, with the possibility of improving it. This one was generally
heavy all the way through, much worse in the bass and diminishing to merely
abusive in the treble. If you've got what I found, forget it. In the piano I
looked at, the hammers were HUGE and HEAVY and the shanks were LOOONG in
relation to the knuckle distance from the center. There weren't any
particular problems with friction, springs, damper weight, mice under the
keys, evil spirits, or any other hidden and cleverly diagnosed problem. The
problem was simply too heavy a hammer on too long a lever. It's un-fixable
(that's un-good without hope) short of a bit of re-engineering and a lighter
set of hammers. This dealer had another model DH that didn't have this
problem. I pulled both actions for comparison, removed a hammer/shank/flange
from each and held them side by side. BIG difference, all other things about
the actions being similar.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but this one probably came from the
engineering department, not QC. Good luck, and let us know what you
ultimately found/did.

Ron Nossaman

At 10:12 AM 8/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>..Dear List:
>
>..i have in my posession a DH Baldwin action..customer is correct when she
>says the action is *heavy*..bass section feels like there's concrete on the
>back of the keys..tenor and treble section feels fine..i backed the jack off
>of A0 till it missed and then reset it..still feels heavy..
>
>..suggestions warmly welcomed..

 Ron Nossaman