heretical on soundboards

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:48:07 -0400

Stephen Birkett wrote:

>    Why are 180 year old unvarnished soundbaords still in perfect
>    condition while thickly varnished contemporary soundboards have an
>    expected life of perhaps 20 years?

My theory:

Among those factors under the control of the manufacturer, selection and
preparation of soundboard material is the primary determinant of
soundboard longevity.

Many old soundboards have held up well because they were made from the
best wood (wood that may no longer be available), further, great
attention was given to properly seasoning that wood. I read somewhere
that years back, the most important job at Steinway, one always reserved
for a family member, was the selection and purchase of wood.

Today, the wood used in most soundboards is selected from faster growing
species, not as much high quality wood is always available, and economic
pressures preclude expensive and time consuming seasoning methods. (I
expect a little argument on this point from the manufacturer's reps)

Bottom line: today's soundboards may in general be less durable than
those of 100 years ago.  The method of finishing is of little
consequence to long term durability.

To add more fuel to the fire:  Why do a lot of old soundboards that have
seen coal heat, high humidity, low humidity, and in general a lot of
abuse endure without a complaint, when new soundboards fitted with
humidity control systems frequently show signs of deterioration within a
few years?

Frank Weston