I have heard _the sound_

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 11 Aug 97 15:51:16 -0500

About 10 months ago I tuned a Julius Bach spinet approximately 25 years
old; the tuning was uneventful except that I had to shim one tuning pin
before the one pin would hold.  I was called to tune the piano again this
morning.  The piano had been moved from its position of last year to a
new position in the same room, the owner saying he was hoping that the
piano would stay in tune better in its new position.  I found the bass
and treble sections to be at pitch; the mid-range was noticeably flat
making the piano sound poor.  I did one rough-tuning pass, during which
the piano seemed to hold.  I had noticed during the first pass that the
second unison on the tenor bridge (C#3?) was unusually flat.  During the
second pass the C#3 seemed to hold, but as I tuned up into octave 4, I
heard _the sound_.  The customer was in the back yard outside the house
and claimed to have heard _the sound_ from there.  One of the strings of
C#3 had "broken" and when I investigated, I found a break in the plate
below the tenor end of the long bridge.  The break went through a hitch
pin hole, releasing the hitch pin and one string of C#3.  I suspect that
had I investigated when I originally found C#3 quite flat, I would have
found a crack in the plate.  But because the tuning pin that I had
shimmed was in the unison a half-step above, I thought nothing of finding
flat notes in the area.  I'm not sure what I would have done, had I found
a crack.  Since the piano is not valuable and would not be worth any
substantial repair work, perhaps I would have been asked to continue the
tuning and hope for the best.

May you never hear _the sound_.

Kent Swafford