Orlando Tuneoff Recount

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:13:42 -0700 (MST)

                          VIRGIL STILL WINS

                          DETAILED RECOUNT
The votes were counted in hash-mark groups of 5 to give a graphic
display

Selection            Piano A    Piano B     Piano C     Piano D

All C's (2 hands     5 5 1      5 5 1       5 1         5 5 5 5 2
All F's    "         5 3        5 5 2       5 5 2       5 5 5 5
All F#'s   "         5 5 2      5 5 1       5 1         5 5 5 5
All C#'s   "         5 4        5 5 3       5 4         5 5 5 5 1
All A's    "         5          5 5 4       5 4         5 5 5 5 1
Brahms Intermezzo    5 4        5 5 1       5 2         5 5 5 5 2
Chopin Prelude       5 5        5 5         5 5         5 5 5 4
Brahms B             5 5        5 3         5 5 5       5 5 5 1
Chopin Etude         5 5 1      5 5 4       4           5 5 5 4
  Piano A was moved to position D, Pianos B, C, and D were shifted
  to Left for remaining sample selections. Time prevented an even
  number of selections in this position.
Hymn variation       5 5 5 1    5 5 5 1     5 1         5 5 2
Chopin C Maj Etude   5 5 5 5    5 1         5 2         5 4
Claire De Lune       5 5 5 3    5 5 1       5 1         5 5 1
Miller Jazz          3          5 5 5 3     5 3         5 5
Totals each piano    142        155         105         217

Totals for Coleman      ***297***
Totals for Smith                                ***322***

|                              619 total votes cast              |
|  % for Coleman              48%                                |
|  % for Smith                                        52%        |

Notes:

The first counting was done at Orlando. Seven ballots were thrown out
because of failure to use X's to indicate the preferred tuning on
some of the selections. They instead used their number scoring
techniques without indicating a preference on some samples. In this
counting, all votes were recorded, even in the case of indicated
ties by one voter (OK, so it was hard to decide), Virgil still wins,
but by a smaller margin. Virgil really wiped me out during the first
sample selections when his best piano was in the favored spot. When
plain 4 octave samples were played, he blew me away (my octaves were
a little wider than his with the pure 5ths tunings on both my pianos,
A and B. In the musical selections, I fared much better, and better
yet after the position switch.

Some comments by the voters:

"The best sounding tuning was piano A"
"The best was B"
"I liked C the best"
"Piano A"
"Piano B"
"I vote for # C, Liked the mellow tuning of B for Jazz, I liked the
  brightness of tuning of C, I liked the tonal richness of D"
"Voicing plays too important a role to be discounted. I could not help
  being influenced by it as the tunings were both OK and excellent.
  Also, when piano A was moved to the opposite end, it sounded better."
"Very interesting. I enjoyed the explanation of the aural tuner."
"Great!"
"They all sounded so good, I'm just guessing on all choices."
"I'd be happy with any of them! Voicing does make a difference!"
"for Camera operator - I would have liked a close-up of the piano keys
  while Virgil was tuning. It would let me know what notes were being
  tuned and what tests were being used."
"Thanks! Could live w/any of them."
"All the pianos sounded great."
"Enjoyed it, Guys. Thanks"
"Virgil plays very musically."
"They both did a good job."
"All pianos very good - very much affected by tone."

Well, there you have it, everything indicated by the voters.
The results of the two tuneoffs shows there is not a dime's worth
of difference between good aural and good visual tuning.

Jim Coleman, Sr.