Duplex scale tuning

Granholm Bros Piano gbros@term.wanweb.net
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:09:17 -0700

The recent thread on piano part terminology brings to mind a job I'm
currently facing.  We have an old Kranich & Bach grand in for rebuilding.
This piano has a duplex (aliquot?) scale, with little brass doohickeys
(aliquots?) on the plate between the hitch pins and bridge, from the
tenor/bass break all the way up to the final treble break.  I have removed
these brass pieces, which were held against the plate by string tension,
and have carefully marked their positions on the plate, and we are now
preparing to gild the plate, install it and restring the piano.

My questions:  What special steps, if any, do I need to take in order to
tune the duplex scale?  Any special procedures as the piano is brought up
to pitch?  Obviously, I put the doohickeys (aliquots?) back as I restring,
and tune the open wires below the bridge by nudging the doohickeys
(aliquots?) back and forth, but isn't this tough to do with wire at pitch
over the top of them, and won't that mess up the pretty new gilding job on
the plate?  With a piano of this quality, is the duplex scale really that
big a deal anyway?  Should I just put the little brass doohickeys
(aliquots?) back in their original positions and forget it, or what?

Thanks

John Granholm
Granholm Bros
Roseburg OR