Duplex scale tuning

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 01:53:36 -0500

----------
> From: rmartin21@juno.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Duplex scale tuning
> Date: Tuesday, August 12, 1997 8:07 PM
>
> Hi John
>
> There is a proceedure currently being advertised in the PTG mag to
> properly tune these doohickies. If you are referring to the ones
that
> look like a small cylinder sliced in half lengthwise I simply place
them
> carefully where they were previously and pray that the first guy
placed
> them correctly. There are also published material that I have read
> concerning these little wonders but I always feel safer putting
them back
> in the same position from whence I removed them.
>
> Never had any problem with them or with tapping them gently into
position
> but it does tend to slow down my stringing time.
>
> I hope someone else can add something more concrete for you.
>
> Ralph Martin MPT

I wondered if the movable ones had something thing to do with down
bearing.  If so they couldn't  have any thing to do with tuning in
those so called aliquot sections (between the bridge and the
hitchpins) (rear duplex?) But then again they would still vibrate
sympathetically with some notes.  And there is an optimum length
between the "rear" bridge pin and the "termination point" that gives
the best sound as far as activating the sound board goes. But who
knows what that is?  Unless Grandpa taught you how to make pianos
like  his father did?  Sprechen Sie Deutsche?  Nein, not me, not
yet.....

Richard Moody