The Sound was Heard

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 05:52:28 -0600 (MDT)

	Hi, everyone!

	When I first came to Calgary, I was called to tune a piano which
looked like a birdcage on the outside but had a more modern action. (The
name has left me, I'm afraid.)
	While examining it, I noticed a missing string near the treble
break, but I didn't think too much about it. But in the bottom of the
piano, I found a much more puzzling piece. It was a loop of treble string,
complete with two coils. To solve this mystery, I looked more closely at
the area of the missing string. I found that the hitch pin was also
missing and, in its place, was a nasty crack in the plate.
	So, I had the job of explaining to the lady of the house that her
piano was toast. What she told me in reply, was very revealing.
	She said that the last tuner who had worked on the piano, suddenly
slammed down the lid of the piano, muttered that he was going to quit the
business and left the house.
	VERRRY INNNTERESTING! Tuners don't slam down the lids of pianos.
And some of them are afraid of having to pay for a problem which is not
their fault and avoid telling the customer what has really happened. I'm
not sure that I would blame him.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta