Damper Rod Problem

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:07:31 -0400

>Dear List,
>
>I'm working on an old Cable upright player.  I've seen the following
>problem in the past.  When the horizontal damper lifter rod (the one behind
>the dampers) is lifted, the bass dampers lift first, then the tenor.
>Finally the treble dampers lift hardly at all.  Is this rail bent from
>years of use or are the felt bushings which hold the pivot points bad?  I'm
>hoping to get some idea of the more likley cause before I really get into
>this thing.
>
>Thanks to all,
>Bob Sadowski RPT
>Erie,PA.

The bushing could be worn and cause such a problem, but, it is more likely
that the hangers are bent .

Observ the damper lift and pick the area which is to your liking.

Remove the lift rod and check the hangers on a flat survace, like the top of
the piano.  Check to see that the hanger ends are all on the surface, if not
make them so.  Check the bass pivot to see if the felt is indeed worn and
replace if so.

While you have the rod out clean and lube it and the hangers.

Gentlyreplace the rod and check in the piano.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't and the results can be
rewarding.

     Newton
     nhunt@jagat.com