Mink oil on knuckles

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:56:08 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:03:41 -0500 (CDT)
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          "Thomas D. Seay, III" <t.seay@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU>
> Subject:       Mink oil on knuckles

Thomas,

Any kind of oil is inappropriate for knuckles as it will attract
dust from the air and make a mess.  It also tends to make the
depression from the jack into the knuckle more pronounced and
quicker as it softens the buckskin.   Dry lubricates are the way
to go, the best in my opinion is the micro-fine teflon from
Spurlock.  I don't use anything else!

> Greetings!
>
> I am posting a question from a colleague who does not have internet access.
> He would like to elicit opinions from this distinguished (extinguished?)
> group on the use of mink oil as a lubricant for grand knuckles. Apparently,
> a technician told him that this was absolutely the best thing to use, much
> better even that powdered teflon.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Tom Seay