D.H.Baldwin/Samick heavy actions

Jayden Stephens baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 21:16:06 -0700

As an addition to Larry Fisher's comments with regards to this series of
pianos depending on the age, there is a domino effect of problems that
effect the touch weight and general feel of the instrument. I will
attempt to go through the most consistant series of problems
encountered.
  I will assume that the obvious has been checked,tight flanges-blow
distance-jack positioning-keybushings ect.
 1. Damper timing and bad upstop rail seemed to be universal up to about
3years ago.
 2. Too much hammer mass and incorrect tailing, very noticable in the
bass section. Tapering the hammers down to approx. half the original
thickness at the bottom of the tail,and getting a nice 5 1/2" radius,
reduces the touch weight dramatically, and also improves the checking.
 3. I have found key weights both for and aft of the balance rails.
remove the rear weight.
 4.  Rub micro fine into the knuckles.
 5.  Most of these models are equiped with wippen assist springs that
are very hap-hazardly adjusted. I open the springs up to obtain a touch
weight of 53 to 55grams I have noticed the uptouch weight does not fall
below 26grams.
   I also normally steam the hammers on these instruments to get rid of
the harsh tone that is encountered.
   My experience is based on several dozen units that I have treated in
this manner.
   I hope this imformation is helpful.
   P.S. I hope this data does not disappear into cyberspace as this my
first attempt on this high tech machine.

                       The closet steamer.