Barrel piano?

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 01:56:39 -0500

A client of mine  has one.  However it is a "table top" model.  The
real antique ones are about the height of studio size uprights.
About the only thing common to real pianos are hammers and strings.
The action is completely different being activated by pins nailed
into a large "barrel" hense the name.  The crank turns the barrel.
Some had giant watch springs that can cause great harm if they get
loose.  But that won't happen unless you try to take it apart, and
not all have them.   The barrel slides out and each one has a trick
to get the trebble end open so this can happen.  The rack the hammers
are mounted on is called the clavis rack.  This also comes out but
there are springs on it that must be attended to so they will not
"jump" out.  The clavis rack must be moved away from the barrel to
get the barrel out. You won't need to get the barrel out though just
to tune it. There are usually seven tunes on the barrel (with one
from
Carmen) and are
selected by turning another dial like crank that moves the barrel
sideways to engage different teeth. It also automatically moves the
clavis rack out of the way when doing this. Or make sure it does, as
sometimes it is broken and this will mess up the teeth.
	They will probably be interested in having it tuned.  Unless there
is a tuning chart, it is very difficult as the scale is not always
chromatic in places, esp in the bass.
Since it is almost impossible to play intervals, it is best to tune
from a tone source, or an
ET.   It is wise to tune it one half step low.   The pins on the
table top model were small, but my #2 tip worked. On this one none of
the tunes were recognizable, until it was tuned, but fortunatly there
was a tuning chart.  Good thing because there were only seven bass
notes, and for some reason a note like F# was left out of the tenor
and  treble scale.
	If you can get the name and any other writing from inside the case
we could post it on MMD  (Mechanical Music Digest) and see what comes
up. Of course there is AMICA  (Automatic Music Instrument Collectors
of America).  They have chapters in every state and major city.
Once you have heard one, then you can say, "I have heard the sound"

Richard Moody.