Soundboards

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 06:46:36 -0500

----------
> From: robert sadowski <rls@ncinter.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Soundboards
> Date: Friday, August 15, 1997 4:53 AM
>
> Dear List,
>
>      A technical question. A fellow technician recently had a board
> replaced in a 9' Knabe.  The original board had a gap around the
perimeter
> of the board in places up to 1/4". Should a board be glued right up
against
> the case and would this have a "coupling" effect on the sound, or isn't
> this important?   I've heard one reason the far-east pianos have a
> characteristic sound is the unavailability of certain hardwoods in case
> parts, etc.  This suggests to me that the case resonates to a certain
> degree contributing to the over-all sound. Hope this generates some
> thoughts.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Sadowski RPT
> Erie,PA.
Dear Bob,
I was always under the impression that pianos like Steinway & M&H's were
loud and powerful because the case was so rigid and unmoving that it sent
the soundboard vibrations right back to the soundboard giving maximun
sound.  On the other hand the Bosendorfers are sweeter gentler sounds
because the spruce solid construction vibrates when the sound hits it
thereby soaking up (wasting) part of this sound.  Maybe Del can shed some
light on this.
James Grebe
RPT from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com