Duplex scale tuning

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:09:48 -0400

I have been having tourble with this thread (string?) ever since I was Frank
demonstrate prototype tools.

My concert grand at our local concert hall has an Db7, E7, F7 that are
impossible to tune because the duplex scale unisons for those notes are very
close but not exact enough.  They cause beats that I thought were coming
from other sources.  I removed those strings, glued the bridge pins with CA,
cleaned the bars of burrs and restrung.  NO CHANGE.

It wasn't until later that I found that the aliquats where the cause.  I now
tune that piano with the duplex muted with silly puddy.

I have tuned other pianos that had the same situation except they were
extremely false beats caused by the duplex.

Intentionally tuning duplexes to match equivelant unisons could drive tuners
over the edge into lipflicking.

I would like to see them tuned to match half way between semitones to
prevent matches.

     Newton
     nhunt@jagat.com
     New Brunswick, NJ