hammer drop

Jan Otto jano@provide.net
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:45:23 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to finish up regulating a 5'8'' Kimball grand which is about
12 years old & has been used at a local college. It was an unplayable
mess when I took on the job & I have now a very nice feeling & playing
instrument. I have regulated many grands & this is the first time I have
run into this problem.

The action works just fine & I have the let off set at 1/8". Hammer
height from strings at rest is 2 9/16 & dip is a tad over 3/8"Escapement
is fine & the jack is about 1/8" from the rep lever felt when the key is
pushed down.The rep spring has none too little or too much tension. The
problem lies with the drop screw adjustment. In order to adjust the drop
to half the let off, I have to bring the drop screw up as high as I can
get it which does'nt seem right. I feel that I may be overlooking
something but I don't know what. The aftertouch seems just right. Any
ideas will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you for any advice,  Jan Otto