Hammer blow mixup

Jan Otto jano@provide.net
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:44:41 -0400

To all those who replied to my hammer drop problem,

I guess we're all entitled to typo goof ups-----I must have confused
everyone with the 2 9/16" hammerblow distance. I'm afraid nothing would
would work at that distance. My blow distance was actually a tad under 1
7/8. Paul McCloud was the first to notice this goof. Of course it was
the key height that I set at 2 9/16.

I had already been using Fred Tremper's suggestion as I'm sure everyone
knows (I hope) that the the jack tender must contact the let off button
at the same time the top of the repetition lever contacts the drop
screw. This is very important. However, what I did'nt realize is that
little extra  depression of the key to see if there is any movement of
the jack tender against the let off button. This was most helpful.

Most of the drop screws are up as far as they can go, but they are a
very safe distance from the bottom of the pinblock.

Joel Rappaport writes that perhaps the hammers are worn down, but that's
not the case. I did have to file & reshape them, but I did'nt remove
that much felt.

Anyway,in conclusion, I will take the advice of others & leave the drop
screws where they are. Thank you so much for your replys. I'm so glad
that I've subscribed to Pianotech----it's GREAT & so nice to get ideas
from the pro's out there.

Jan Otto