Dealer

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 09:57:30 +0000

Dear List,

I received a call from a lady who lives in San Francisco but is
currently working in Vienna.  She had just bought a Steinway M
from a local store a few weeks earlier with the stipulation that
a technician needed to OK the condition of the instrument.  By
the way she had another technician check it out before me but
wanted a second opinion (I haven't heard what his report was
yet).   The deal with the dealer was that they only got M's 3 or
4 times a year and this was quite a instrument.  She paid them
$22,000 for the piano.   I thought this was a bit high and wrote
to that effect (We were conversing via E-mail).  She was
concerned that it might have teflon and that it might be a CBS
Steinway.  I wrote her that teflon is not the kiss of death and
that I have a number of customers with beautiful Steinways with
teflon.  The piano was built in 1965 and according to Stephen
Dove of Steinway that puts it before CBS.  Anyhoo I went and
inspected it yesterday.  The piano looks good, ebony case in
good shape.  The bench has a number of scratches that they have
touched up.  Most of the keytops are cracked, one bass string
has been replaced and about an octave in the treble has newer
strings (poor workmanship with the replacements).
Evidence of hard playing in my opinion.  Action in poor
regulation.  Pulled action...hammers, shanks and flanges are
new.  Not Steinway parts.  Good quality though.  Wippens still
have teflon but seem to be in good shape.  Treble bridge has a
small section with minor hairline cracks.  Soundboard is
perfect.

What do you folks think?  I wrote her that I wasn't very
impressed and would have expected something much more for that
kind of money.  Such as a pristine instrument in original
condition that had hardly been played.  I would appreciate any
advice in this situation as she wants to pull out of the deal
and wants me to give something in writing for the dealer.
Ach!!!  I have litte or no connection with the dealer (although
they did throw a new piano sale service my way a few weeks ago).
I don't think they are going to be happy campers!

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey
Pacifica, CA